Using a ssh key file to connect to your server with FileZilla sftp is easy once you have generated a key file (tutorial). Once you have a id_rsa file in the .ssh folder in you profile folder (users/your-name) you can use that directly in Filezilla.
To do this follow theze steps:
- In FileZilla->Settings.. select Connection->SFTP
- Press the Add key file… button
- Navigate to users/yourname/.ssh/
- Select the “id_rsa” key file and click Open (this imports the key)
- Click OK to close the Settings dialog
- Open File->Site Manager…
- Select the site with which you want to use the key
- Choose Protocol “SFTP” and select Logon Type “Normal”. Leave the password option empty
- Click Connect and you’ll see your files
You can generate a pkk file as wel,. but the above has the same result.
To generate a pkk file you need to download puttygen.exe from putty, you can then import the same id_rsa file and export it to *.pkk. If you want to use the key file method in FileZilla in step 8 you do have to select key file, and select the generated file instead of username and password.